Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Going Broke And That's No Joke


I am convinced that one of the appealing qualities of the triathlon is that it gives people an excuse to buy gear. The chics can go shopping for over-priced shrouds of polyester (just like underwear, why is it that the less the material, the greater the cost?) and guys can geek out on tools and gear.

Every season, I accumulate a few more articles myself and I can't say I don't savor the excuse to go shopping, in fact, sometimes it serves a dual purpose as I will actually use the shopping trip as an excuse to skip a workout.

Last night was one of those nights, I carved out time in the evening so I could make the trip to Sports Basement without any time constraints. I even turned off my phone while I was shopping (note: this isn't actually true, but I thought it added to the dramatic effect. The truth is, if only my phone actually rang enough for me to need to turn it off...)

Sports Basement, like all basements, is a dangerous place. You think everything is a deal, and that, coupled with the TNT discount card, therein lies the mindf*ck. So, I started with a new backpack, which I actually needed. The next thing I knew, I was buying a camping pillow, trying on Ugg boots (wouldn't they be nice after swimming in Aquatic Park?), some cool cargo pants and a jog bra.

I'm feeling pretty good about my selections and I saunter up to the check-out and give the ultra-cool-rugged/hip-shower-once-a-week-work-to-live cashier my TNT card, my ticket to material acquisition *and* finacial freedom.

He scans it all in and tells me I owe the Big SB $275. That's half a ticket to Belize, a cruiser bike, or a new camera...not to mention the numerous impovershed families I could feed. But let's not dwell on the guilt. I am now $275 poorer, but properly accessorized to compete in another season of triathlon.

No comments: