Friday, April 13, 2007

The Slack

Forgive me for being Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde about Escape From Alcatraz, but I am riding a wave elation at the moment over learning that the race day currents are expected to be in the neighborhood of 4 knots, with an Ebb flow. It doesn't get much better than that. While I've been warned that "the tides don't read the tide book", I will take this good news and I will give it a big, wet, juicy kiss on the head.

As a result of this inspiring realization, I went onto have a great swim at Aquatic Park last night. The water was almost glasslike, the sun was setting, the sky a palette of pinks and orange, and I...almost...enj...oy...ed...it...almost. If it wasn't for the un-identifiable, but vile taste in the water (wretched sealions!), I might just call the experience pleasant.

One of the other swimmers turned me onto this tea, which she drinks just to get rid of the lingering water taste. It's good stuff. I think I'm going to have a thermos waiting for me at the transition area.

A couple of degrees warmer actually makes a noticable difference.
Conditions
Water temperature around 54-55 deg F (12.2-12.8 degC).
TIDES:
SLACK: 4:43 p.m.
MAX TIDE:7:51 p.m.- 3.3 knots FLOOD-7:51 p.m

1 comment:

BrianZ said...

I hope that company makes better tea than they do websites. Their site looks like it hasn't been updated since 1996.