Saturday, July 28, 2007

I Take That Back

The Tour is obviously not 'on' this year. Thanks, media, for ruining one of the greatest sporting events ever.

While the final stage tomorrow will be exciting, with just 31" separating the top three riders, it's been a tough race to get attached to this year: the riders are dropping like flies and not from the brutality of the race. It's the DOPE, dudes, don't get caught by The Man.

Doping has a long legacy in the Tour, and it has finally reached a crisis stage (AKA: the 21st stage, which is like the 19th hole but with far fewer martinis) with it's 'intervention-style' manner of cleaning the sport up. Bravo, Tour. We all agree that we want everyone competing on an even playing field. Now what I'd like to know is: why is it so hard to prove the results of the vast matrix of dope tests, and why are certain riders targeted when it is suspicious that everyone is doing it.

I've read so many articles on doping and how they test the athletes, it is a process that is intricately designed...yet athletes still find ways to circumvent the system and dope. It reminds me of airport security, the dope testers really act as more of a facade which tricks the public into believing that the infrastructure supports a fair race. But in reality, the dopers--like terrorists--are always one step ahead.

I think the whole debacle is sad. I wish I could believe the riders who claim they are wrongly accused of doping, but I am dubious. And I'm not sure I really care whether they dope or not. Ok, in a moralistic context, I think it's wrong. The race should be testing human limits. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking it's as simple as pointing fingers at the riders. The media loves the scandal and the viewers eat up the drama. Spectators are in awe of riders who can perform seemingly inhumane acts of endurance. And we all want to believe that these riders are something more than incredible cyclists; we have to turn them into heroes, which they couldn't possibly be if they're doping.

And secretly, if offered, I'd give doping a try. I'd really love to know what it feels like to ride 200 KM with 10,000 elevation gains and still feel great.

No comments: