Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Gem in the Jungle

I was recently introduced to a little gem in my urban jungle: the Polo Fields in Golden Gate Park. The field has an inner paved track, which is good for cycling and an outer track, which is good for running. As a bonus, there's a 70's style circuit training that extends the perimeter of the track and let me tell you...it doesn't feel like much of a workout while you're doing it. But I could barely walk the next day. Which meant I had to go back for more.

On top of being a great space for getting the limbs moving, it's an incredibly serene and peaceful environment. The type of adrenaline you just don't find at the gym. The majestic oaks let the fog pass through their twisted trunks while the old eucalyptus dose the air with their minty aroma and protect from the wind. The sky is the ubiquitous summer grey and there's so much open area to stretch out and have a few moments of s-p-a-c-e in this otherwise crowded city.

No comments: