Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Damn the Ironmen

Feb 7, 07
At koret tonight, I do some weights and then head for the pool. Find a lane where there's a woman who looks like she's a pretty strong swimmer, so I figured she'd be a good person to share the lane with, and try to keep pace.

About 20 minutes into the swim, I notice a piece of paper attached to the wall at the end of the lane and I take a look at it and realize it's her training routine. I sneak a closer look and see the workout for tonight..."1000 meter WARM UP"...and I was like: holy shit! Warm up? That was followed by 1500 meters "maintain avg pace" and then a bunch of drills (like 15x 100 meters).

The rest of her week was more of the same, with runs & bikes (I think Sunday's was something like: ride 5 hours unless it is absolutely pouring rain)...so I figured, obviously this woman is doing an ironman. Sure enough, she stops and sees me looking at her sheet. I ask her "what are you training for?" She says, "Ironman, Lake Placid". I say, "Wow, that's amazing." She says: "it's only my 3rd one." And she says it in a genuinely modest tone. I was like, wow. You just rocked my world. Then she says, "I'm almost done with my workout, do you want me to leave the sheet there for you?" ha ha ha.

No comments: